Monday, December 21, 2009

Kwismas Twee

When I was a kid, Christmas is my most-awaited event of the year. I feel excited when Christmas draws near. Anticipating for all the gifts, toys and money I will get from my parents, and tito's and tita's. As time went by, of course we all gotta grow up some time, these gifts, toys and everything else disappeared. And then things got a little opposite now; yer the one giving gifts, toys and money to the kids. So the excitement you feel when Christmas is drawing near turns to anxiety and fear of being compared and criticized, y'know how kids are. So more and more, Christmas has been less exciting than it used to be. Sheeesh. Adults...

For so many years, since I left my parents to live an independent life, I never really got around to decorate my place of Christmas-y things and stuff you put by the door or in other available spaces in the house.

This year is different, though. A little different. Well, for one, I'm not single anymore. But the angst is still there and some other worries but I've learned to cast them aside thru the years of hiding from my godchildren and saying "next time" to my kid cousins, nephews and nieces. Yea, I'm that thick. Hahahaha.

My wife bought a Christmas tree. Then I realized this is the first time I'll be decorating my place with Christmas-y things. Kewl. When we started dressing up the tree, a feeling so familiar to me started coming back. I feel like I'm a kid again. Sure, I'll be hiding from my godchildren still, I'll still be saying "next time" to the kids but something feels different this time, which I haven't felt for a long time.

When we finished dressing up the tree, it was a thing of beauty. More beautiful than the Christmas tree I've grown up with since I was a child. And mind you, at that time, the Christmas tree we had, in my eyes, was the best ever.
We're gonna spend Christmas in the province, Nueva Ecija. As usual, I'll do most of the cooking. I have a couple of things I recently learned thru "experiments" plus a couple of usual things like pasta, ref cake and maybe a little pork barbecue. No, not pork... I dunno. Oh, and I have to think of what veggies I'll prepare...

The theme this Christmas is "Healthy Food".

Merry Christmas, y'all!

No comments: